I didn’t always like Harry Potter. I saw the first movie in a movie theatre when it came out, and I wasn’t too impressed. It seemed too long, and I didn’t get the ending. I couldn’t understand why Professor Quirrell was defeated so easily by simply touching Harry … it seemed like an ending where Harry succeeded simply out of dumb luck or what I thought was a cheap deus ex machina. Had I given the second movie a shot I would have had a change of heart, but the first movie was not that great to me. The first half was how incredibly bad Harry’s life was and the second half literally him shitting luck.
The Order of the Phoenix happened to be on TV one night a number of years later, and I was amazed at how dark it turned. I quickly rewatched the series, and then read all the books over train rides in the span of one month. Now I understand the ending to the first movie, and I can enjoy everything about it.
This was a fun strip to draw. It was great being able to draw Harry, Hermione, and Ginny (the back of Ron’s head makes an appearance) and base it on the movie actors’. It’s the kind of strip that would have been at home when the strip was more regular and doesn’t seem forced to me, like many of the THIN H LINE Tumblr strips.
I had a bit of a conundrum at the end trying to figure out exactly how much Ginny would let the reader know that outing Harry wasn’t her primary intention, she was actually trying to sleep with Ron. I don’t like spelling out punchlines, so I hope I got it just right.
Share if you dare:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)