I thought this was funny as sin, so I wanted to do a similar joke where someone chooses masturbation over life. I was reminded of a short Zen tale where a man enjoys eating a stawberry when he’s just about to perish — perched on a cliff there is a tiger above him and a long fall below him — and also thought of Blade Runner. I thought this would make the perfect vehicle for a reimaging of the Kikuni joke.
I had this idea on the shelf for a very long time. I drew the first panel, I even had that with me when I went to Malaysia. But I was completely underconfident of my ability to do it artistic justice. However, I did buy the DVD at this point, and was able to get the first panel just perfect. This was the first in a series of strips which used DVDs as reference for the parody strips (the Blair Witch Project strip, the Space 1999 strip, the Mrs. Shibata as Indiana Jones strip, the It’s a Wonderful Life strip, etc.).
The title of the porno being flashed on the buiding was something my friends and I had come up with when trying to find the perfect name for a porno. The last shot is an example of one of my favorite styles of punchlines, where instead of showing what happens immediately following the 3rd panel, a great deal of time passes, so you see the effects, but not the actions themselves, and the reader fills in the blanks
Share if you dare:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)